The Visual Studies program offered by Minneapolis College of Art and Design is a community of makers, thinkers, theorists, researchers, and creative professionals working in a mentor-based, interdisciplinary environment.
Graduates with M.F.A. in Visual Studies from Minneapolis College of Art and Design will be able to:
- Pursue an active production and critical methodology of studio work through individual meetings with mentors, visiting artists, and other community members.
- Research the historical and contemporary issues of their field and the larger field of art and design.
- Present and defend ideas related to their work and the work of their fellow students through both written and verbal forms.
- Contribute to group learning processes in multi-disciplinary critiques, advanced studio seminars, liberal arts seminars, and collaborative projects.
- Complete a significant body of work, which will include the installation of a thesis exhibition and written thesis statement.
- comic arts
- engaged and public arts
- furniture design
- graphic design
- installation art
- paper and book arts
- web and multimedia
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Interrogating the Modern
- Entering the Contemporary Field
- Graduate Teaching Seminar: Theory and Methods
- Graduate Teaching Practicum
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Visual Arts View 628 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- MFA students must hold an undergraduate degree before enrolling.
- Application Form
- Official College Transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement - In 300 words, what goals will you pursue in the graduate program? Be specific. In 300 words, how has your previous experience prepared you to pursue those goals? In 400 words, provide a detailed analysis of one of the works in your portfolio.
- Portfolio - twenty pieces demonstrating your strongest work in your chosen discipline via Slideroom
- Introductory Video (Optional) - the most important reason you are motivated to study your chosen area of focus, at least one goal you hope to achieve in your graduate education and why you think MCAD is the best place to achieve your goals
- Proof of English Proficiency
International41344 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 41344 USD per year during 24 months.
National41344 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 41344 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Minneapolis
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.