With Athabasca University’s Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies - Community Studies, you will learn to think holistically, critically and reflectively. You will find the connections and points of overlap between specialized and generalized knowledge. You will also learn problem-solving skills and policy-making strategies.
Community Studies explores issues of social justice and social change as they relate to community-based organizing, community economic development, education, and social movements.
It will be of interest to students working with community groups, the non-profit sector, social enterprises, and social economy organizations; those interested in CED theory and practice for social change; and adult and distance educators interested in social transformation in both developed and developing world contexts. Your program will finish with a final integrated project or capstone paper that will exercise and explore your newly acquired skills and knowledge.
You can choose to complete this project in a grouped study capstone course, or through an individual study project that will allow you to:
- explore a question or issue that’s important to you
- relate your research to a work or life situation
- address a community problem
- Global Education
- Ethnobiology: Traditional Knowledge of Plants, Animals, and Land in Contemporary Global Context
- Transformative Learning for Social Change
- Global Governance and Law
- Industrial Heritage
- Architectural Conservation
- 24 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Educational Research Teaching View 6 other Masters in Educational Research in Canada
- The Master of Arts – Integrated Studies (MA-IS) Program invites applications from candidates who possess a baccalaureate degree and strong analytical, writing, and critical-thinking skills
- All students applying for admission into the MA-IS Program students must complete an Academic Writing Assessment as part of the application process.
International2098 CAD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2098 CAD per module during 24 months.
National1868 CAD/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1868 CAD per module during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.