The Military History (Option A) programme at the Stellenbosch University allows for two optional modes of study, both under the guidance of a supervisor.
Option A: The completion of a thesis with prescribed reading in preparation of a research proposal, as well as an oral examination and submission of an article for publication in an accredited journal, or the presentation of a paper at a subject conference or a graduate seminar.
An approved research topic with prescribed reading (20) is selected in consultation between the candidate and the supervisor. The prescribed reading must lead to a thesis (100) in which the candidate must exhibit the ability to do independent research on a military-related geographical problem.
- You select a research theme in consultation with your supervisor, who also consults with the subject group. The research proposal should have a definite focus on the military history of South Africa or Africa and must be based on primary (i.e. archival) work.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMilitary Science History View 40 other Masters in History in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Stellenbosch University and/or in South Africa, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Your contract
- Student support form (Students with special needs)
- Qualification documents - Please ensure that you upload qualification documents for each tertiary qualification obtained and that the documents is official and certified. This implies that your original qualification documents (academic transcript and accompanying degree certificate) which you recieved upon graduation must be stamped and signed by the awarding institution. Qualifications shorter than 12 months in duration will not be considered
- Proof of English Language proficiency
- A BMilHons degree in Military History with a minimum final mark of 60% in each module or another applicable honours degree in which the candidate has duly performed
Living costs for Stellenbosch
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.