Orchestral Performance from Manhattan School of Music is the first accredited degree program of its kind in the United States. Chaired by Glenn Dicterow, the former concertmaster of the NY Philharmonic, the program produces polished musicians of the highest artistic caliber, who are prepared intensively in the orchestral repertoire for careers as symphonic players.
Students are trained to participate fully in both performance and other nonmusical aspects of life in the modern orchestra, such as orchestra governance, artistic planning, community engagement, and audience development.
The program incorporates curricula specifically designed to train the exceptional, advanced student in both performance and non-musical aspects of life in the modern orchestra. In addition to individual instruction with some of the leading players on the classical scene, these young musicians form the core unit of Chamber Sinfonia and Manhattan School of Music Symphony. Students are seated in leadership roles through competitive auditions.
Orchestra Performance Majors
- Double Bass
- French Horn
Program graduates have accepted positions with the following philharmonics, orchestras, and symphonies worldwide:
- New York Philharmonic
- Fort Wayne Philharmonic
- Los Angeles Philharmonic
- Orlando Philharmonic
- Chicago Lyric Opera Orchestra
- Kennedy Center Opera Orchestra
- Metropolitan Opera Orchestra
- Colorado Symphony Orchestra
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra
- Louisiana Symphony Orchestra
- Nashville Symphony Orchestra
- Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra
- New Jersey Symphony Orchestra
- Puerto Rico Symphony Orchestra
- San Francisco Symphony Orchestra
- Seattle Symphony Orchestra
- Vancouver Symphony Orchestra
- Virginia Symphony Orchestra
- Gewandhaus Orchestra of Leipzig (Germany)
- Orchestra of the Palau de les Arts “Reina Sofía” in Valencia (Spain)
- Stockholm Philharmonic (Scandinavia)
- KZN Philharmonic (South Africa)
- New Japan Philharmonic (Asia)
- Auckland Symphony (New Zealand)
- Western Australian Symphony (Australia)
- Symphony Orchestra of Monterey (Mexico)
- Major Instrument and Repertoire Coaching
- Orchestral Repertoire Coaching
- Orchestral Music: Baroque to Classical
- The Musician as Educator
- Chamber Sinfonia Core
- Large Performing Ensemble
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Late applications are accepted on a case-by-case basis depending upon the program and various circumstances.
DisciplinesMusic Music Performance View 246 other Masters in Music Performance in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- If your first language is not English, you will be required to take our in-house English Assessment during audition week
- We recommend that you upload unofficial transcripts and proof of degree(s) to the online application for the initial phase of the admission process. You must submit your transcripts in the original language and in English.
- All applicants who have completed their online application and passed prescreening (if applicable) must audition in order to be admitted to MSM.
- If you are offered admission to MSM, you will receive details on how to apply for a student visa with your acceptance. You will be required to apply for the SEVIS Form I-20.
International51500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 51500 USD per year during 24 months.
National51500 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 51500 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.