The Clinical Emergency Care, and Patient Safety and Clinical Decision-making streams at the Stellenbosch University will be open to medical practitioners, nurses and paramedics. The African Emergency Care stream will be open to medical practitioners only.
What we offer
Non-communicable diseases are claiming ever bigger health tolls, especially in sub-Saharan Africa. Emergency Medicine is still a relatively new speciality with very few specialists in South Africa, and even fewer on the rest of the continent. In addition, the Emergency Centre is the entry point of the sickest individuals into the health care system, resulting in the bulk of the care currently being delivered by non-specialised staff. This MPhil programme is aimed at improving the skills of doctors, paramedics and nurses to optimise care in the emergency environment.
The programme is completed by means of coursework and a research assignment/thesis.
There are three main streams:
- Clinical Emergency Care for doctors, nurses and paramedics in emergency care, including a 60-credit assignment;
- African Emergency Care for qualified doctors, including a 90-credit thesis; and
- Patient Safety and Clinical Decision-making for doctors, nurses and paramedics. Two options are available: Option A (with a 60-credit assignment) and Option B (with a 90-credit thesis).
- Clinical Research Methods
- Clinical Emergency Care
- Disaster Medicine
- Education and Training in Emergency Care
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPublic Health Health Administration Health Sciences View 182 other Masters in Public Health in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Your contract
- Student support form (Students with special needs)
- Qualification documents
- A qualification on at least NQF level 8
- Registration with the relevant South African professional body (such as the Health Professions Council of South Africa [HPCSA] or the SA Nursing Council)
- You must be able to converse and write in medical English, and pass a basic computer literacy examination provided by the Division of Emergency Medicine once you have been shortlisted
- For the Clinical Emergency Care Stream, you must have at least two years' emergency care experience after your internship and you must have successfully completed two of the Advanced Life Support Courses (ACLS, APLS, PALS, ATLS, FEC)
International2013 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2013 EUR per year during 24 months.
National2013 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2013 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Stellenbosch
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.