Students may be required to research, devise and produce new works of art, or develop new approaches to arts practice and/or its critical and social contexts and meaning (depending on the specific research project entailed).
It is expected that any such arts practice will be a contemporary expression leading towards new insights in the selected field of study.
The work will be exploratory, frequently based around emerging methodologies of arts research, leading usually to a performance, presentation, exhibition or publication of significance.
Specifically, the Master of Performing Arts offered at Edith Cowan University course aims to create opportunities for innovation and creativity in the arts; use the resources of the Academy to create leadership opportunities for people who can offer the arts informed direction, and identifiable and marketable skills, to advance the Australian cultural environment into the next decade; provide opportunities for people from diverse ethnic and creative arts backgrounds to synthesise disparate artistic skills to produce innovative and creative outcomes for the arts industry; and build upon and extend the traditions and conventions of the student's earlier training to create new knowledge for the arts.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Apply cognitive, technical, and creative skills to investigate complex ideas and concepts in the design, execution, and critical examination of research activities
- Apply communication skills to analyse and disseminate research through disciplinary mediums (including artistic outputs where appropriate) in order to make a contribution to knowledge in a specific area of performing arts.
- Demonstrate ethical accountability, as well as an awareness of cross-cultural sensitivities, global perspectives, and emergent issues or practices.
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate theoretical and technical knowledge in the advancement of conceptual understandings and creative practice, and to work both independently and collaboratively, as required.
- Reflect critically on a complex body of discipline knowledge, research principles, and methods to demonstrate mastery in a specific area of the performing arts.
- Use high-level self-management skills to [plan and execute] a substantial piece of research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Arts Issues
- Performing Arts Research Preparation
- Masters Thesis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesVisual Arts View 38 other Masters in Visual Arts in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS code: 074069M
- All applicants are required to attend an audition. The candidate is expected to undertake an audition (all performance and directing) and/or interview (composition, musicology and other forms of historic study) for the staff in the relevant area. Information on this requirement will be available from the area head on application.
International32850 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 32850 AUD per year and a duration of 24 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 AUD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.