The MA Screenwriting at the University of the Arts London (UAL) is one of the UK’s leading film and TV scripting courses, with a strong reputation in the industry.
Graduates of MA Screenwriting have gone on to win numerous awards, both UK and international, work on major film projects in active development and are writing for a wide range of programmes currently being screened on UK television.
The course will provide you with the opportunity to develop the abilities, knowledge and skills you will need for a career in scriptwriting.
What can you expect?
MA Screenwriting introduces you to the foundations of contemporary scriptwriting practice in a theoretical context.
You’ll develop research methodologies that will become the foundation for future practice and analysis.
The course offers you the opportunity to study feature film, television and radio narrative, the development of a script from a short story and research, which lays the foundation for your major project.
You will also complete a collaborative unit that reflects your specialist interests in scriptwriting and related topics, whilst engaging with the need to understand and communicate with the industry you wish to work in.
In the last term of the course, you’ll undertake a major project that allows you to focus on a specialist area of interest that you identified during your previous study.
You will write several drafts of an original screenplay for film or TV or a TV pilot episode(s) with format documents. In addition, you’ll engage in peer-to-peer review and the writing of reader reports.
- Short Film: Process and Practice
- Industry Knowledge, Skills and Methodologies
- TV / Film / Radio: Adaptation - Existing Format – Process and Practice
- Collaborative Unit
- Major Project
- 15 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
The deadline has passed. However, this course will remain open until places have been filled. We recommend you submit your application as early as possible.
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 378 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in United Kingdom
- It is preferable that you have a previous degree, but it is not essential. We also accept students based on their writing talent and the work they submit during their application.
- Honours degree
- Possession of equivalent qualifications
- Prior experiential learning, the outcome of which can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required
- Or a combination of formal qualifications and experiential learning which, taken together, can be demonstrated to be equivalent to formal qualifications otherwise required
- If your first language is not English, you can check you have achieved the correct IELTS level in English
- Current and/or previous education and qualification details
- Employment history
- Personal statement
- Written assignment
International23610 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23610 GBP per year during 15 months.
National11550 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 GBP per year during 15 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.