This Sociology programme at the Stellenbosch University focuses on the development of critical thought as well as theoretical, conceptual and research competence in a specialised area. You choose your specialisation area in consultation with the Department. The programme comprises the writing of a thesis containing the results of independent research on a research problem. You must do additional course work in support of the development of a research proposal.
What we offer
The MA programme offers students the opportunity to develop a structured research programme on a selected topic at a more advanced level than the Honours programme, drawing on the theoretical and methodological traditions within the disciplines of either Sociology or Social Anthropology.
The programme is an essential step along the career path of academics and researchers and will also be of benefit to social analysts, planners, developers and consultants, as well as to those working professionally in specific fields, such as government, health, development, education, the environment, social policy, gender programming and the media.
Students are expected to develop and demonstrate the conceptual and research skills necessary for the study of society and human relations at an advanced level, while deepening their knowledge of and insight into society, including from a comparative perspective. The focus is on deepening the student"s grasp of the theoretical and methodological foundations of Sociology or Social Anthropology as well as his/her ability to apply sociological or social anthropological theory, analysis and research methodology in a selected field of study.
- Thesis (Sociology)
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesAnthropology Sociology View 11 other Masters in Anthropology in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Your contract
- Student support form (Students with special needs)
- Qualification documents - Please ensure that you upload qualification documents for each tertiary qualification obtained and that the documents is official and certified. This implies that your original qualification documents (academic transcript and accompanying degree certificate) which you recieved upon graduation must be stamped and signed by the awarding institution
- Proof of English Language proficiency
- An Honours degree in Sociology or Social Anthropology or an equivalent qualification on NQF-level 8 that Senate considers as sufficient for admission to the programme
- An average final mark of at least 65%, with demonstrated academic ability
International1276 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1276 EUR per year during 12 months.
National1276 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1276 EUR per year during 12 months.
- R21 948
Living costs for Stellenbosch
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.