The Geography and Environmental Studies programme at the Stellenbosch University focuses on the study and resolution of human-environmental problems and environmental phenomena from a spatial perspective. The thesis research can be done full-time or part-time. The research topic is developed and approved by the Department.
Knowledge of the relevant specialised scientific theory about environmental problems specific to geography as discipline
Abilities of critical, analytical and synthesising thought about human-environment interactions and spatial environmental phenomena
Ability to identify and prioritise contemporary environmental problems and research topics relevant to South and southern Africa
Specialised practical skills to manage and resolve environmental problems, while retaining advanced and progressive conceptual theoretical thought needed for scientific research
Ability to undertake independent scientific research to resolve spatial environmental problems in a research thesis and demonstrate practical environmental consultation employment skills
- Geography and Environmental Studies
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesGeography Geographical Information Systems (GIS) View 20 other Masters in Geography in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Stellenbosch University and/or in South Africa, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Your contract
- Student support form (Students with special needs)
- Qualification documents - Please ensure that you upload qualification documents for each tertiary qualification obtained and that the documents is official and certified. This implies that your original qualification documents (academic transcript and accompanying degree certificate) which you recieved upon graduation must be stamped and signed by the awarding institution. Qualifications shorter than 12 months in duration will not be considered
- Proof of English Language proficiency
- A BScHons degree with Geography and Environmental Studies or appropriate discipline as major and an average of 60% for the major
International1398 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1398 EUR per year during 12 months.
National1398 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1398 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Stellenbosch
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.