The General Linguistics programme at the Stellenbosch University focuses on language phenomena in the following domains:
- Language structure;
- Language use;
- Language abuse;
- Language variation;
- Second language acquisition;
- Language attrition; and
- Language disorder.
What we offer
You can choose between two options. Both options require independent research on problematic phenomena in one of the domains mentioned above. In Option 1, the results of the research are presented in the form of a 100% thesis, and in Option 2 in the form of a 50% thesis. Option 2 requires further advanced study in one or more themes in linguistics, for which you must complete a series of assignments in the first semester. You choose your study theme in consultation with the Department. Your choice is determined by the availability of supervisors and your academic background and interests.
- Thesis (General Linguistics)
- Themes in General Linguistics
- Thesis (General Linguistics)
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguages Linguistics View 29 other Masters in Linguistics in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Stellenbosch University and/or in South Africa, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Your contract
- Student support form (Students with special needs)
- Qualification documents - Please ensure that you upload qualification documents for each tertiary qualification obtained and that the documents is official and certified
- Proof of English Language proficiency
- An Honours degree/postgraduate diploma in general or applied linguistics, a language, a language-related subject, or speech therapy (logopaedics); or another qualification accepted by the Senate as equivalent to such an Honours degree/postgraduate diploma
International1334 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1334 EUR per year during 12 months.
National1334 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1334 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Stellenbosch
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.