You select a topics for the research project from one of the following specialisation fields:
- soil genesis and classification;
- weathering and clay mineral synthesis;
- plant nutrition and fertilisation;
- irrigation and soil-plant-water management including salinity control and management;
- resource (soil, land and water evaluation and management systems such as, amongst others, erosion control); or
- rhizosphere and pedosphere organisms and interactions.
The project may consist of either soil science only or soil science integrated with a crop (plant), climate and/or terrain study. You will be guided towards project planning for problem solving by research within general guidelines and an overall picture of sustainable resource use through environmentally friendly, economical soil, water and plant management. You must be able to show that you have the ability to deal analytically and systematically with problems relating to the soil, plant, water and atmosphere continuum, and to identify possible solutions and formulate guidelines for the environmentally friendly management of natural resources.
What we offer
The Soil Science postgraduate at the Stellenbosch University research projects deal mainly with the application of soil science to production-related disciplines (viticulture, horticulture, agronomy and forestry) and environmental and ecological studies (soil health, soil carbon sequestration, water quality, impact of invasive and natural vegetation on soils, and environmental impact studies). Recently, we established a multidisciplinary research project investigating the use of biochar as a sandy soil improver and carbon sequestration agent.
We are also well-equipped for fundamental research on pedology (formation and classification of soils) and on land evaluation, and are the only university department in the Western Cape offering a full range of programmes in Soil Science, including irrigation and water management.
- Soil Science
- Master's Thesis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesSoil Science Agriculture View 11 other Masters in Soil Science in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Your contract
- Student support form (Students with special needs)
- Qualification documents - Please ensure that you upload qualification documents for each tertiary qualification obtained and that the documents is official and certified. This implies that your original qualification documents (academic transcript and accompanying degree certificate) which you recieved upon graduation must be stamped and signed by the awarding institution. Qualifications shorter than 12 months in duration will not be considered
- Proof of English Language proficiency
- An applicable BScAgric degree
- An average final mark of 60% for the major subject
International988 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 988 EUR per year during 12 months.
National988 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 988 EUR per year during 12 months.
- R17 133
Living costs for Stellenbosch
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.