You will be able to study individually either with our excellent Royal Holloway-affiliated performance teachers, or an external teacher of your choice, subject to agreement with the Music department.
You will work towards a final recital performance, with the support of group seminars and individual tuition on your instrument or voice. You'll also be able to take two courses from the MMus Advanced Musical Studies syllabus.
Our recent graduates from the Music Performance course at Royal Holloway University of London have gone into careers as music teachers, composers and musicians. Others have gone into PhD studies at Royal Holloway or other leading universities, and then into academic careers, with some working in the highest-rated research departments in the country.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Historical Musicology
- Topics in Multimedia and Film Music
- Topics in World Music
- Techniques in Ethnomusicology
- Documenting Performance
- Music of the Americas - Politics, Indigeneity and Performance
- Issues in Popular Music
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
There are no deadlines for postgraduate applications, but popular degrees become full quickly.
DisciplinesMusic Music History View 241 other Masters in Music in United Kingdom
- A Bachelor's Honours degree in Music.
- Normally we require a UK 2:1 (Honours) or equivalent in relevant subjects but we will consider a high 2:2 or relevant work experience. Candidates with professional qualifications in an associated area may be considered. Where a ‘high 2:2’ is considered, we would normally define this as reflecting a profile of 57% or above.
- A mark of Upper Second Class Honors (2:1) in the Performance component is required. Candidates will only be offered places following a successful audition.
- All applicants must submit a recent video recording of at least 3 contrasting pieces, totalling 15-20 minutes in length.
- All teaching at Royal Holloway is in English. You will therefore need to have good enough written and spoken English to cope with your studies right from the start.
International11470 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11470 GBP per year during 12 months.
National5400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5400 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.