To that end, we offer a program at Houghton College of study for composers of demonstrated talent and accomplishment who aspire to excellence in the writing of music of various types, including symphonic and chamber music, opera, and other instrumental and choral/vocal works for the concert hall and/or the church, as well as music for film, television, and other media.
Admission to the Master of Music program in composition is highly selective. Candidates are expected to have completed a bachelor of music degree in Composition, or have an equivalent level of compositional ability as demonstrated by a significant portfolio of original works. Substantial proficiency on a major instrument is required.
Each student will be encouraged:
- to explore a wide variety of compositional techniques and methods, with an eye toward further developing strong compositional craft.
- to develop a personally unique compositional style or language.
- to consider stylistic eclecticism as the dominant compositional ethos of the postmodern world. At least some compositional assignments will deliberately demand the learning of new musical languages.
- to become involved in the activities of professional compositional societies.
- to articulate a personal plan of action concerning establishment as a composer within Christian worship and fellowship communities, as well as to consider and articulate any unique contributions of music composed from a Christian worldview to wider musical and cultural communities.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Special Topics in Music History
- Sixteenth Century Counterpoint
- Form and Analysis
- Synthesizer/Computer Applications
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic View 997 other Masters in Music in United States
- Completed Application
- Download application (PDF), or
- Apply online
- Graded Sample of Undergraduate Upper-Level Academic Writing in Music (preferably a history or analysis paper)
- Repertoire List (see application for guidelines)
- official undergraduate transcript(s)
- official graduate transcript(s) if applicable
- Personal Statement (see application for guidelines)
- Audition Registration Form (You may Register Online.)
- Include Accompanist Request for Audition (if applicable)
- Scores for Accompanist (if applicable)
- Application Fee ($40), unless received by Nov. 1.
International645 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 645 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National645 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 645 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.