Why this programme
- Accredited by the Royal Society of Biology for the purpose of meeting, in part, the academic and experience requirement for the Membership and Chartered Biologist (CBiol).
- Extensive laboratory-based teaching covering a wide range of practical skills in molecular biology, Top 20 in the UK for Biological Sciencesmicrobiology, synthetic biology, protein expression, protein purification and more.
- Gain a sound understanding of the nature of business based on bioscience knowledge and research, their opportunities for innovation and regulatory requirement constraints, intellectual property and ethical issues.
- Learn to assess current literature, be encouraged to form opinions based on scientific merit, and implement these ideas in future research planning.
- Taught by experts in the field of Biotechnology who run active, internationally recognised, research groups here at Glasgow.
- Network within the industry through site visits, guest lectures and an 'Industrial Networking Symposium' where representatives from the European biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry discuss their companies and answer questions on working in the industrial sector.
- Receive hands-on experience of diverse biotechnological research skills with a strong laboratory component making up the Biotechnology programme at the University of Glasgow throughout the year.
- Get valuable training through our flexible, independent, research project for students wishing to proceed to a PhD or into an industrial career. This may also be completed as a business-based project.
- Opportunities to carry out a 10-week lab-based research project in a research intensive university.
- Wide choice of research projects.
- Lectures in industrial and environmental microbiology, protein expression, synthetic biology, optogenetics, bioremediation and other applications of biotechnology.
- A choice of courses on plant biotechnology, omics technologies or bioimaging.
- Gain transferable skills in science writing and presentations; reading and interpeting the scientific literature; experimental design, data handling, data analysis, and reporting of results.
Enjoy excellent career opportunities in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology industrial sectors.
Many of our students follow a career path in:
- Biomedical science
- Food technology
- Environmental management and agricultural sciences
- Molecular Research Skills
- Industrial and Environmental Microbiology
- Biotechnology Applications
- Recombinant Protein Expression
- Synthetic Biology: Concepts and Applications
- Technology Transfer and Commercialisation of Bioscience Research
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesBiotechnology Bioinformatics & Biostatistics Genetics View 125 other Masters in Biotechnology in United Kingdom
- A second-class Honours degree or equivalent in a related subject area – biology, microbiology, biotechnology or biochemistry – although applicants with a degree in other areas may be considered. Professional experience may also be taken into account.
- A copy (or copies) of your official degree certificate(s) (if you have already completed your degree)
- A copy (or copies) of your official academic transcript(s), showing full details of subjects studied and grades/marks obtained
- Official English translations of the certificate(s) and transcript(s)
- One reference letter on headed paper
- Evidence of your English language ability (if your first language is not English)
- Any additional documents required for this programme (see Entry requirements for this programme)
- A copy of the photo page of your passport (Non-EU students only)
International25750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25750 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10000 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Glasgow
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.