The degree Medieval English at the University of St Andrews is an intensive one-year taught programme of study covering the mediaeval literature of England and Scotland from the Anglo-Saxon period to the early Renaissance.
- The programme develops the various intellectual and practical skills necessary for research in the field of medieval literature.
- Students will extend and deepen their knowledge of English and Scottish literature from the earliest Old English writings through to the close of the Middle Ages.
- In addition to being a member of the School’s own Medieval and Renaissance Research Group, you will also become a member of the St Andrews Institute of Mediaeval Studies.
- Expert palaeography classes and access to unique manuscript materials are provided by the University’s Special Collections.
Over two semesters, students will take taught modules that are conducted as seminars with some didactic classes and hands-on practical sessions. Assessment is conducted through coursework essays, assessed exercises and the final dissertation. The School of English prides itself on its support of student work through detailed feedback and commentary. Class sizes typically range from three to ten students.
Graduates of the course go on to pursue careers in a range of sectors including journalism, marketing, publishing and teaching.
The Careers Centre offers one-to-one advice to all students on a taught postgraduate course and offers a programme of events to assist students to build their employability skills.
- Literary Research
- Reading the Medieval Text
- Old English
- Middle English Literature in Context
- Special Topic in English Studies
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Literature Linguistics View 398 other Masters in Linguistics in United Kingdom
- A good 2.1 Honours undergraduate degree in a subject-related area.
- Supplementary application to School of English (Word)
- sample of academic writing relevant to Medieval English (approximately 2,000 words)
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
International21390 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21390 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10395 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10395 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for St Andrews
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.