The Education - School Leadership program offered by Furman University includes extensive preparation for school administration and a sequence of courses and
activities planned to guide the candidates in developing the knowledge and skills required of principals and supervisors. A year-long, 6-credit internship with monthly seminars provides candidates with opportunities to apply their knowledge and continue to improve their abilities to function as effective, caring school leaders.
Students seeking a Master of Arts in this concentration area must have a valid South Carolina teaching certificate (Professional Level, K-8 or 7-12) and a minimum of two years’ teaching experience, including at least one year at the level of the certificate for which the individual is applying. (Elementary grades: K-8; Secondary grades: 7-12).
Students certified to teach at the elementary level should enroll in the elementary school leadership program, and students certified in a subject taught in high school should enroll in the secondary school leadership program. Persons wishing to become certified in administration at a level different from their teaching certification area will need to add the appropriate teaching credential and consult the graduate advisor for the course(s) needed in school leadership. Persons holding valid teaching credentials in both elementary and secondary may select either elementary or secondary school leadership.
To complete this program, students must show evidence of a passing score on the appropriate Praxis II exam.
Master of Arts in Education
Master of Arts programs are designed primarily for certified teachers. Individuals seeking initial teacher certification will be required to complete undergraduate courses which will not apply toward the master’s degree.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Statistics and Measurement in Education
- Research in Education
- Organization and Control of American Schools
- Leadership in Educational Organizations (
- Strategic Planning and Thinking in Education
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Management, Organisation & Leadership View 1588 other Masters in Management, Organisation & Leadership in United States
- earned a bachelor’s degree from a regionally-accredited institution in the United States or a teacher education program recognized by the South Carolina Board of Education
- satisfactorily completed an accredited program of initial teacher certification
- a graduate admissions application, accompanied by a one-time, non-refundable application fee
- two professional recommendations and Dispositions Assessment Evaluation by persons familiar with the candidate’s teaching (e.g. principal, assistant principal, immediate supervisor)
- a copy of their current teaching certificate
- official transcripts from each higher education institution previously attended
International50464 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 50464 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
National50464 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 50464 USD per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.