The MLitt in Film Studies at the University of St Andrews is a one-year taught programme run by the Department of Film Studies. The programme approaches the study of film through a varied intellectual approach, exploring cinema in a global context. You will discover filmmaking cultures outside the canon and examine classic film through new cultural, theoretical and historical perspectives.
- Film Studies approaches the study of film through a varied intellectual approach, exploring cinema in a global context. You will discover filmmaking cultures outside the canon and examine classic films through new cultural, theoretical and historical perspectives.
- Film Studies receives regular visits from high-profile film scholars, critics and film industry personalities. Most recently, acclaimed film director Joe Russo held a workshop open to all students in December 2015.
- Students have the opportunity to present their work at the annual postgraduate student colloquium in May, at which a visiting professor provides them with feedback on their work. The Film Studies postgraduate community mixes MLitt and PhD students in friendly and collaborative ways.
A Film Studies degree opens doors to many careers including academia, creative industries, development, distribution, film festival and cinema programming, arts administration, media management, film and TV research, journalism, publishing, advertising, cultural entrepreneurship, non-governmental organisations, marketing, public relations and education.
Recent destinations include:
- Adjunct Instructor, State University of New York at Oswego
- Consultant for Propel London Media
- European Tour Productions, IMG Media
- Junior Assistant Producer.
- Colonial Cinema
- Digital Cinema
- Documentary Cinema
- Film and the Archive
- Film Technologies and Aesthetics
- Sensory Cinema
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media Theatre & Dance View 207 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United Kingdom
- A good 2.1 Honours undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline.
- CV or résumé. This should include your personal details with a history of your education and employment to date.
- sample of academic written work in English (2,000 words)
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- Evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language)
- covering letter (optional).
International21390 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21390 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10395 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10395 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for St Andrews
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.