The MLitt in French Studies at the University of St Andrews is a one-year taught programme run by the Department of French in the School of Modern Languages. The programme concentrates on the research-led study of major conflicts and continuities in the cultural, literary or intellectual history of French-speaking lands.
- Students receive training in traditional and new research techniques and have the opportunity to broaden their language portfolios.
- Small class sizes of no more than 20 students provide a close-knit postgraduate community and friendly environment.
- Teaching is geared towards encouraging and directing independent research.
Modern Language postgraduates go on to careers in the academic field or in other areas, for example as cultural advisors, translators, or in the public or civil service.
Recent graduates have secured posts such as:
- university teachers in the UK and Germany
- research assistants
- postgraduate recruitment officer at GCHQ
- professional translator
- adviser to the CBI
- television subtitler.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- French Literary Revolutions
- Literary and Cultural Theory
- Research and Professional Skills
- Specialised Research in French Studies:
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 468 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- A good 2.1 Honours undergraduate degree in French with a French language proficiency at C1 level on the European Framework or equivalent.
- personal statement (optional)
- sample of academic written work (2,000 words)
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
International19400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19400 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA9450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9450 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.