The MLitt in Italian Studies at the University of St Andrews is a one-year taught programme run by the Department of Italian in the School of Modern Languages.
The programme's core focus is on questions of Italian national identity, and students are encouraged to take their particular interests in Italian culture further through more research-focused study, drawing on the wide historical and thematic range of specialist expertise offered by the Italian Department.
- Students will deepen their knowledge of Italian history and culture through the study of literature, cinema, and other forms of cultural expression.
- Students receive training in theory and its applications and are introduced to traditional and new research techniques through seminars with staff from across the School.
- Teaching is delivered in small class sizes made up of diverse international students, providing a close-knit postgraduate community and friendly environment.
The taught element of the course consists of five compulsory modules involving literary theory, research skills, and Italian literature and culture. Classes are delivered through a mixture of lectures, seminars and fortnightly tutorials, with class sizes ranging from individual one-to-one teaching up to 20 students. Modules are assessed through coursework; there are no final exams for this programme.
Modern Language postgraduates go on to careers in the academic field or in other areas, for example as cultural advisors, translators, or in the public or civil service.
Recent graduates have secured posts such as:
- academic and language teaching posts in the UK and Europe
- research assistants
- professional translation and interpreting
- business and management
- international events organization
- public relations.
- talian Literary and Cultural Contexts
- Literary and Cultural Theory
- Research and Professional Skills
- Specialised Research in Italian Studies
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 461 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- A good 2.1 Honours undergraduate degree in Italian with an Italian language proficiency at C1 level on the European Framework or equivalent.
- personal statement (optional).
- sample of academic written work (2,000 words)
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
International21390 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21390 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10395 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10395 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for St Andrews
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.