On this Gender and Culture programme offered by The University of Edinburgh, you will explore the construction of gender in cultural texts through a combination of coursework and a final dissertation, gaining the expertise to situate your area of specialisation and representation within the wider field of Gender Studies.
You will be based in the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures (LLC), a highly interdisciplinary environment bringing together specialists in critical fields of enquiry across literature, language, film and theatre.
Under the guidance of an experienced and well-published supervisor, you will have the opportunity to focus intensively on the construction of gender and sexuality in one or more cultural contexts from an exceptional range of historical periods and locations, from the Middle Ages to the present, in Asia, Europe, South America, North America and the Middle East.
You will also be encouraged and supported to critically engage with established and emerging approaches in:
- queer theory
- critical theory
A UNESCO World City of Literature, and home of the world's longest continually-running film festival, Edinburgh is a remarkable place to study, write, publish, discuss and perform prose, poetry, drama and film.
Take a Masters by Research with us and you will be based in the historic centre of this world-leading festival city.
Our buildings are close to the:
- National Library of Scotland
- Edinburgh Central Library
- Scottish Poetry Library
- Scottish Storytelling Centre
- Writers’ Museum
- a fantastic range of publishing houses, bookshops, theatres, and cinemas
- Between the School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures (LLC), the Careers Service and the Institute for Academic Development (IAD), you’ll find a range of programmes and resources to help you develop your postgraduate skills.
- You will also have access to the University’s fantastic libraries, collections and worldwide strategic partnerships.
- As part of our research community, you will be immersed in a world of knowledge exchange, with lots of opportunities to share ideas, learning and creative work.
- Activities range from talks by visiting speakers and work-in-progress seminars, to reading groups, conferences, workshops, performances, online journals and forums.
- Our graduates tell us that they value LLC’s friendliness, the connections they make here and the in-depth guidance they receive from our staff, who are published experts in their field.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Gender & Sexuality Studies Liberal Arts View 301 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a related subject.
International25300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9700 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part-time fees per year
- Home: £4,850
- International/EU: £12,650
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.