The subject has been taught at the University of Edinburgh since the prestigious Sir William Fraser Chair of Scottish History and Palaeography was established in 1901. The post is currently held by Professor Ewen Cameron.
From the early middle ages to the present day, we can offer expertise in all periods of study.
Students view the Scottish History programme from The University of Edinburgh as an advanced qualification valued and respected by many employers; others are interested in pursuing long-term academic careers and therefore consider the MScR as preparation for a PhD.
The combination of skills training courses, specialised seminars and independent research provides you with transferable skills that will be beneficial whatever path you choose.
Graduates pursue work in related areas such as:
- policy think-tanks
- national and international civil services
- non-governmental organisations
- historic trusts
Others build on the transferable skills gained and enter areas as diverse as:
- public administration
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The MSc by Research is perfect if you have a specific topic of interest you wish to research in depth.
- In Scottish History, we can offer supervision across an exceptionally wide chronological and geographical range.
- When applying, as for other research programmes such as a PhD, you must submit a research proposal explaining your plans and demonstrating your knowledge of the chosen field: this will be closely scrutinised as part of our admissions process.
- Two supervisors will be appointed to work with you on the project, and it is a good idea to consult with prospective supervisors before applying.
- This programme is assessed by means of a long dissertation of 30,000 words.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Philosophy & Ethics View 252 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, a minimum US 3.25 GPA or international equivalent, in a subject related to your programme.
- Relevant experience, or professional or other qualifications will also be considered.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International24000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9200 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part-time fees per year
- Home: £4,600
- International/EU: £12,000
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.