The MSc in Marine Mammal Science at the University of St Andrews is a one-year taught programme run by the Sea Mammal Research Unit (SMRU), the only UK institution dedicated exclusively to marine mammal research, and draws on the quantitative and diverse academic expertise within the University's Scottish Oceans Institute (SOI).
- Modules include intense training in quantitative techniques (for example, statistical modelling and GIS) and applied research methods, including a field course to practice survey techniques (at no additional cost).
- Students have the exciting opportunity to conduct fieldwork and training in Antarctica as part of the optional module in polar ecology (requiring additional payment of a substantial expedition fee). See the students' Antarctic expedition blog.
- The core curriculum is complemented by advanced optional modules in topical research areas of biologging, bioacoustics, behaviour and cognition, and population biology.
- Stimulating, small class sizes with a focus on student-led, experiential learning.
The course consists of two taught semesters followed by an independent research project culminating in a 15,000-word dissertation and poster presentation. The research project takes place during the entire year with particular focus during the last three months from June to August.
Graduates of the course have gone on to complete PhDs or work as research scientists for government agencies, industry, environmental consultancies or marine conservation organisations as well as in academic institutions worldwide.
Graduates also become part of a large and growing alumni network, with many students continuing on to become research scientists, either at St Andrews or as part of international collaborations. SMRU has held noteworthy alumni gatherings at professional conferences, and graduates stay in touch with each other using a Master course specific Facebook group.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Bioacoustics for Marine Mammal Science
- Current Issues in Biologging
- Current Issues in Marine Mammal Behaviour
- Estimating Animal Abundance
- Population Biology of Marine Mammals
- Predator Ecology in Polar Ecosystems
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHydrology & Water Management Marine Engineering View 73 other Masters in Hydrology & Water Management in United Kingdom
- A first or upper 2.1 (Honours) undergraduate degree or equivalent in a biological science.
- completed Marine Mammal Science application form 2019 (Word)
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
International24240 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24240 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9900 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9900 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for St Andrews
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.