The Cultural Studies programme offered by The University of Edinburgh supports a range of research topics in visual and urban cultural studies, with a particular interest in:
- place and memory
- spatial violence and urban disintegration
- post-socialist cities of Eastern Europe
- visual and semiotic landscapes
- materiality and spatiality of writing
- book space and architectures of reading
- photography and visual knowledges
- experimental publishing
- curatorial practices and multimodality in representation of research.
Your project will benefit from the diverse research expertise of staff from the Edinburgh School of Architecture & Landscape Architecture (ESALA), from our collaborative exchanges with academic colleagues and research students across the University, and a broad range of contacts with local and international research networks, cultural and heritage institutions and archives.
Training and support
In addition to regular meetings with your supervisor, you will participate in postgraduate seminars and conferences and have opportunities to experiment with publications and curatorial projects.
- You will be required to complete two courses selected in consultation with your supervisor and a 20,000-word dissertation based on your independent research.
- The coursework will provide methodological and theoretical grounding for your research project.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History View 645 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
- Normally UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant subject.
International25300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9700 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home - £4,850
- International/EU - £12,650
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
- Edinburgh College of Art scholarships
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.