Each year, mental health problems such as anxiety and depression will affect 1 in 4 people, including 1 in 10 children, at an anticipated global cost of $6T by 2030. Psychological therapies, especially cognitive-behavioural therapy (CBT), provides a safe, effective solution to many of our most common mental health problems.
The programme offers two options:
- a two-year, full-time, 240 credit option
- a part-time, 180 credit option
The full-time Psychological Therapies programme offered at The University of Edinburgh is aimed at applicants who are recent graduates or those looking for a change in career who do not hold a core clinical qualification or equivalent.
We take applicants from graduate status and provide general clinical skills training and specific CBT training.
The programme incorporates a clinical placement based at the Centre for Psychological Therapies which is led by applied psychologists with extensive clinical experience.
The first 60 credits of the full-time programme provide explicit training which covers the Knowledge, Skills and Attributes (KSA) requirements.
You will be required to attend an interview as part of the selection process.
The part-time programme is aimed at applicants who already hold a core clinical qualification or equivalent and provides practitioner training in CBT and other therapies.
With a special, but not exclusive, focus on childhood and adolescence, the programme is suited to practitioners working with children, youth and adults.
For students who do not have access to their own clinical caseload the Centre for Psychological Therapies is able to provide placements and supervision at the on campus clinic for an additional fee.
Graduates can expect to gain employment in clinical services or private practice as mental health practitioners.
Depending on course choices, graduates may be eligible for accreditation with the BABCP and/or IPT-UK.
Full-time programme - 240 credits
- You will enrol for the MSc in Psychological Therapies, but depending on chosen pathway may exit with a PG Certificate, PG Diploma, or MSc in Psychological Therapies, or with a specialism in CBT, denoted in brackets after the main programme title (for example, PG Dip Psychological Therapies (CBT)).
- You will enrol on the MSc Psychological Therapies but have the option to exit with a CBT specialism, denoted by an addition in brackets to the title of the award. Postgraduate Certificate and Diploma exit options are also available.
- You will typically complete 60 credits each year, thus completing the MSc over three years, but the flexible programme structure allows you to take between 2 and 6 years, depending on their own needs.
- 24 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We encourage you to apply at least one month prior to entry so that we have enough time to process your application.
DisciplinesPsychology View 855 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
Full-time Programme - Two years - 240 Credits
- A UK 2:1 honours degree or its international equivalent in psychology, health or related subject. Your transcript should show evidence of learning in developmental psychology.
- Your application must include evidence of basic experience of working or volunteering in a health, social care or justice setting.
- You will be required to attend an interview to assess your personal competencies, experience, and suitability for the programme as part of our selection process.
International21550 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21550 GBP per year during 24 months.
National10200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10200 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.