We draw on the knowledge and clinical experience of a community of developmental, clinical and health psychologists, to help you understand children and young people’s mental health and wellbeing from this perspective.
The Mental Health in Children and Young People - Psychological Approaches programme from The University of Edinburgh includes both conceptual and applied elements. At the conceptual level, the programme will review different theories of children and young people’s mental health involved in the complex structure of typical and atypical development. At the applied level it will include the application of psychological knowledge to understanding the difficulties experienced by children and young people and the critical appraisal of psychological knowledge and its implications.
The programme fosters transferable skills such as critical evaluation, research competence, teamworking and communication and is suitable for further PhD-level study, research or practitioner study. It will enhance the employability of those wishing to work with children and adolescents in mental health-relevant settings.
Previous students work in a range of professions including clinical practice and voluntary sector organisations, and, with appropriate additional training, in nursing, social work and social care, and teaching.
- Typical and Atypical Child Development
- Attachment, Wellbeing and Mental Health
- Research Methods in Applied Psychology
- Inferential Statistics in Applied Psychology
- Social Inequality and Child and Adolescent Mental Health (online learning)
- Applied Developmental Psychopathology
- Evidence-Based Psychological Interventions
- Critical Psychology and Mental Health (online learning)
- Trauma and Resilience in a Developmental Context (online learning)
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Counselling View 160 other Masters in Counselling in United Kingdom
- A UK 2:1 honours degree or its international equivalent in psychology or a related subject.
- Experience of working or volunteering with children and/or young people is highly desirable.
- We may also consider your application if you have other professional qualifications or experience; please contact us to check before you apply
International25300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12500 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Edinburgh
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.