The basic objective of the program is to educate the graduate students in issues regarding the Arab World, Turkey, Iran, Israel and North Africa, to train the researchers and area experts for both public and private sectors, universities, research centers, and archives and libraries, to conduct academic and scientific research, to organize conferences and to publish about the history and contemporary affairs of the region.
The Middle East Studies program from METU Middle East Technical University also aims at increasing the academic cooperation between research centers in the Middle East and METU, and developing the national and international dialogue among the scholars working in the field of study.
- History of the Modern Middle East
- Contemporary Affairs in the Middle East
- Research Ethics, Methods and Design in Area Studies
- Seminar in Middle East Studies
- Term Project
- Master’s Thesis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Sociology Political Science View 22 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Turkey
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at METU Middle East Technical University and/or in Turkey, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- International Graduate Students' Registration Form: The form is expected to be downloaded by the student and filled, including the student's signature.
- ALES / GRE Score Sheet: The score sheets are valid for five years from the exact date they are announced. Students who used to be registered in one of the graduate programs of METU and then either canceled the registration on their own will or were dismissed from the program are not asked to provide a new ALES / GRE score only if they have not been registered to graduate programs of METU for one academic year at max.
- English Proficiency Score (METU EPE / IELTS / TOEFL / PTE Academic)
- One photo
- Identity page of your passport
- Residence Permit Card: Required only if the student has a residence permit card before the registration to METU.
International278 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 139 USD per semester during 24 months.
National18 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9 USD per semester during 24 months.
- Resident: 154 TL/semester
- Non-Resident: 2500 TL/Semester
Living costs for Ankara
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.