The MLitt in Spanish and Latin American Studies at the University of St Andrews is a one-year taught programme run by the Department of Spanish in the School of Modern Languages. It is primarily targeted to students whose main focus is literary studies with an interest in history and visual culture.
Students receive training in traditional and new research techniques and have the opportunity to broaden their language portfolios.Small class sizes of no more than 20 students provide a close-knit postgraduate community and friendly environment.
Modern Language postgraduates go on to careers in the academic field or in other areas, for example as cultural advisors, translators, or in the public or civil service.
Recent graduates have secured posts such as:
- university teachers in the UK and internationally
- research assistants
- postgraduate recruitment officer at GCHQ
- professional translator
- adviser to the CBI
- television subtitler.
- Literary and Cultural Theory
- Patterns in Hispanic Literature and Film
- Research and Professional Skills
- Specialised Research in Spanish and/or Latin American Studies
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Languages View 639 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
- A good 2.1 Honours undergraduate degree in Spanish or a relevant discipline with a Spanish language proficiency at C1 level on the European Framework or equivalent.
- personal statement (optional)
- sample of academic written work (2,000 words)
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
International21390 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21390 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10395 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10395 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for St Andrews
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.