Sociology at METU Middle East Technical University grants its students strong theoretical insights and practical research skills and competences.
The curricula at all levels of sociology education at METU are enriched by departmental and non-departmental electives. In addition to its undergraduate and graduate programs, the department also has minor and double major undergraduate programs and is affiliated with other diverse master and doctorate programs offered by the Social Sciences Institute of METU.
The Master of Science in Sociology at METU Middle East Technical University graduates of the Department of Sociology have job opportunities in a wide range of public and private sectors.
The institutions in these sectors range from:
- various ministries of government
- civil society
- research companies
- advertisement agencies
- marketing firms
- international institutions such as the World Bank, UNDP, UNICEF, and ILO.
The programme aims to develop an interdisciplinary approach in social science education and research with a special emphasis on comparative and historical perspectives, using international body of scholarly literature and research. The students are expected to combine theory and prexis (practice).
- Prothesis Seminar
- Research Methods and Ethical Issues in Social Research
- Master's Thesis
- Principles of Sociology
- Politics and Society
- Rural Sociology
- Urban Sociology
- A certain level of GPA: This is the cumulative GPA stated on your diploma or temporary graduation certificate.
- An English Proficiency Score: You MUST provide a valid English exam score. Accepted English exams are stated below with the minimum required scores.
- An ALES or GRE score: Applicants should provide an ALES (Graduate Education Entrance Exam-An exam done by Turkish authorities in Turkish) or a GRE (Graduate Record Examinations) score. International students, most of the time, provide GRE scores as the ALES exam is in Turkish. The minimum required GRE score for graduate programs at ODTÜ may vary, but it is mostly around 149-153.
- Letter of Intention and Reference letters: You will not submit hardcopy reference letters but enter the name and the contact details of your references.
International316 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 158 USD per semester during 24 months.
National20 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10 USD per semester during 24 months.
- Resident: 154 TL/semester
- Non-Resident: 2500 TL/Semester
Living costs for Ankara
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.