The Visual Arts and Education - A Constructionist Approach master's degree at University of Barcelona offers a cross-disciplinary approach through references to cultural studies, visual culture studies, critical education methods, museum studies, poststructuralist studies, the educational shift for arts, etc. Besides, the degree offers intervention and research strategies related to methodologies and methods closely associated to narrative perspectives, artistic and art-based research, visual methods, ethnographic approaches and participative action research.
This course is aimed at students with an interest in developing their training as teachers in the field of arts and education, in carrying out participative and collaborative intervention projects, in developing inclusive research proposals to participate in institutions and groups.
The development of the course includes the participation of teaching staff from other universities, different social groups and international guests.
This master's degree offers placements in cultural, artistic and educational institutions of relevance due to their development of projects that explore alternative strategies in the relation between arts and education.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Visual arts education, visual culture and social constructionism
- From a topic of interest to a research project: a constructionist perspective
- Methodologies for the analysis of the visual
- Masculinities, gender studies and contemporary art
- Visual cultures in educational settings
- Theories and practices on the arts education curriculum from a constructionist perspective
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
60 - 90 (note that the number will vary according to the applicant's previous studies)
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Given the interdisciplinary nature of this master's degree program, applicants are not required to have qualifications in one particular study area. Training and experience in visual arts teaching and education is recommended but not essential.
- Students must hold one of the following qualifications to access university master's degree courses: An official Spanish degree or, a degree issued by a higher education institution within the European Higher Education Area framework that authorizes the holder to access university master's degree courses in the country of issue or, a qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area.
- The following degree qualifications are considered particularly suitable for the program: fine arts; education and teacher training; history of art; architecture; audiovisual communication; other similar official degrees (such applicants may be recommended to complete the train-up module)
International4920 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 82 EUR per credit during 12 months.
EU/EEA2820 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 47 EUR per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.