The Cognitive Science and Language master's degree at University of Barcelona places a particular focus on speech perception and language acquisition, the syntactic and semantic processing involved in speech, the relationship between semantics and cognition, the logical structure of language and the epistemic and conceptual foundations of language study, computational analysis of language, and the relationship between the different areas of cognitive science.
The goal of this degree is to give students the skills they will need to carry out a research project, which may be developed further under the doctoral programme and lead to the writing and defence of a doctoral thesis. The three areas of specialization in both the master's degree and the doctoral programme are overseen by the best lecturers and researchers at each of the participating universities, and renowned international specialists are continually invited to participate as guest lecturers.This places the scientific education of the postgraduate programme in Cognitive Science and Language on a comparable level of quality to the leading postgraduate programmes in Europe, particularly in the interdisciplinary areas of cognitive science.
The general objective of the master's degree in Cognitive Science and Language is to provide training to language researchers from three scientific perspectives: those of the linguist, the cognitive psychologist and the analytic philosopher. Interdisciplinary training in each of these areas will enable students to monitor and appraise new contributions in the other two areas.
The Cognitive Science and Language master's degree at University of Barcelona offers interdisciplinary education in three key areas of cognitive science:
The course consists of a common module of basic subjects, a specialization module covering specific topics from each of the three key areas, and a module comprising optional subjects.
- Foundations and Structure of Language
- Mental Architecture and Basic Processes
- Topics in Philosophy, Language and Cognition
- Advance Issues in Cognitive Sciences and Philosophy
- Philosophy of Cognitive Sciences
- The Nature of Language
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Second period: 1 June - 5 July 2021.
DisciplinesLanguages Cognitive Sciences Linguistics View 18 other Masters in Languages in Spain
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Ideally, candidates will have prior training in one or more of the specializations (philosophy, psychology, linguistics) or in related disciplines (philology, translation and interpreting, humanities, biology, medicine, etc.) and a strong motivation to pursue further study in the area of cognitive science.
- A qualification from outside the framework of the European Higher Education Area.
- Commitment to conduct a significant piece of research, expressed in a statement indicating the candidate's interests and how these interests are related to the content of the programme.
- Level of English equivalent to B2 in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, or higher.
International4920 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 82 EUR per credit during 12 months.
EU/EEA2820 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 47 EUR per credit during 12 months.
A pre-enrolment fee of 30,21 euros is charged.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.