Data Science is the science of extracting knowledge and information from data and requires competencies in both statistical and computer-based data analysis. The elite program Data Science is an interdisciplinary program and is carried out jointly by the Department of Statistics and the Institute for Informatics at LMU Munich. The program is part of and is supported by the Elite Network of Bavaria.
The curriculum of the elite master program Data Science at Ludwig-Maximilians-University (LMU) Munich is a modularised study program. Students learn statistical and computational methods for collecting, managing, and analysing large and complex data sets and how to extract knowledge and information from these data sets.
The program also comprises courses on data security, data confidentiality, and data ethics. In the practical modules students will tackle real-world problems in cooperation with industrial partners. Other highlights of the program are the summer schools and the focused tutorials.
- Upon graduation our students are well prepared for a career as a data scientist in the private or public sector in fields such as applied economics, political science, sociology, education, medicine, public policy, and media research.
- Students may also pursue a doctoral study in a variety of academic disciplines that require quantitative analysis.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesStatistics Computer Sciences Data Science & Big Data View 56 other Masters in Data Science & Big Data in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Transcript of records
- Bachelor certificate (if not yet available, it needs to be provided no later than 30 September 2019)
- Essay "Data Science" (in which you look at the developments and perspectives of Data Science as well as your planned area of specialisation, and your previous experience; max. 1,000 words)
- Proof of proficiency in English
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 24 months.
While there is no tuition for standard programs, all students are required to pay a fee of €129,40 for student services.
Living costs for München
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.