The MLitt in History of Photography at the University of St Andrews offers a unique opportunity to study the history of photography as a specialised field of research.
- This innovative degree is inspired by the important role played by St Andrews in the early history of the most influential visual medium of the modern era.
- Students are introduced to the theoretical and methodological challenges and debates that photography’s multiple functions and contexts have provoked since its invention.
- Classes make full use of the outstanding photographic collections of the University Library and associated archives, such as that held by the National Gallery of Scotland in Edinburgh.
- Small class sizes prioritise discussion with peers and interaction with the tutor.
Recent postgraduates in Art History are employed in universities and archives, museums and galleries, auction houses, radio stations, publishing houses and magazines.
The Careers Centre offers one-to-one advice to all students on a taught postgraduate course and offers a programme of events to assist students to build their employability skills.
- Art and Technology
- The Book as Object and Idea
- The Classical Tradition
- The Image of the Artist
- Representation and the Body
- Themes in Art History
- Writing on the Visual
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media History View 563 other Masters in Visual Arts in United Kingdom
- A good 2.1 Honours undergraduate degree. A degree in art history is strongly recommended but is not an essential requirement.
- CV or résumé. This should include your personal details with a history of your education and employment to date
- personal statement (500 words)
- sample of academic written work (2000 words)
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- English language requirements certificate.
International21390 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21390 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10395 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10395 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for St Andrews
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.