There are three distinct 36-credit master degree programs in Special Education (1-6) at The City University of New York. Each focuses on a different age and grade range. The Early Childhood program focuses on children, Birth–Grade 2; the Childhood program on Grades 1–6; and the Adolescent program on Grade 7 through age 21.
Each program prepares candidates to work with children or youths whose disabilities range from mild to severe. Upon completion of their program, graduates are eligible for initial/professional or permanent New York State Certification in Special Education within their age/grade level.
All programs are part-time and take 3 years to complete. Candidates are required to take internship courses during the summer. They must also follow a prescribed course of study.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Collaboration with Families and School-based Teams
- Language and Literacy: Principles and Practices in Childhood Special Education
- Applied Behavior Analysis & Positive Behavioral Supports
- Curriculum and Instruction for Childhood Special Education
- Advanced Seminar in Childhood Special Education
- Trends and Issues in the Education of Students with Severe Disabilities
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Special Education Teaching View 761 other Masters in Languages in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Hold an initial/provisional certificate in general education in the age/school range of the special education program to which they apply (Birth–Grade 2; Grades 1–6; Grade 7 through age 21).
- Write a well-organized, well-conceptualized essay that clearly communicates their reasons for pursuing a degree in special education, indicating the nature of their current and past experiences with people with disabilities.
- Results of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General Test are required.
- An interview may be required.
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 24 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 24 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.