Through this online Master of Education (M.Ed.), you will be introduced to the historical context that has influenced current educational practice and explore key theoretical ideas in the philosophy of education. You’ll develop the confidence and ability adapt to a range of educational contexts, utilise strategies to solve problems, monitor progress and alter your approaches where necessary.
Master of Education (M.Ed.) teaching methods
We’re a 100% online education provider, so we use a state-of-the art virtual learning environment (VLE) to deliver our teaching, resources and assessments. Our system tracks and manages the learning process in real-time and provides you with immediate access to your learning materials. The VLE is accessible 24/7 and allows both students and tutors to actively take part in real-time conversations and live Q&As.
Master of Education (M.Ed.) assessment methods
All assessments are delivered through our virtual learning environment (VLE). There is no requirement to go to external test centres; instead you will submit written assignments through the VLE. For the few courses where exams are required, we use a virtual system which allows you to take academically rigorous exams from the comfort of your own home.
We believe you get the most out of your time spent studying when you are kept informed of your performance, and we achieve this by:
- assessing you throughout modules rather than waiting for end of year exams
- showing your marks in your grade book which can be viewed whenever you log onto the VLE
- rapid turnaround on work assessed to ensure your grade book is always up to date
- ensuring you have regular contact with your Student Support team
We also have a policy of ensuring that the work submitted by students is authentic – we use a well-established electronic monitoring system to check for plagiarism.
Master of Education (M.Ed.) career prospects
Continuing professional development is the cornerstone of this programme, with the qualification being linked to the UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF), allowing participants to document evidence for recognised CPD programmes/affiliations.
This Masters will help education professionals to improve their practice as teachers, lecturers, training advisers and administrators, policy developers, and researchers, as well as other related professions. Additionally, this qualification could help to open doors to more senior roles or leadership positions.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
You can study the following modules on the Master of Education (M.Ed.):
- Philosophy of Education and Theories of Learning & Teaching*
- Delivering Effective Teaching and Learning*
- Introduction to Educational Assessment
- Using Technology in Teaching, Learning and Assessment
- The Role of Research and Academic Literature in Developing Practice
- Introduction to Learning Analytics
- The Science of Learning – practical implications for teaching
- Research Methods in Teaching & Learning*
- From Teacher to Content Developer
- From Teacher to Manager
- From Teacher to Assessment Developer
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
Our Master of Education (M.Ed.) is an ideal stepping stone for qualified teachers to expand and enhance their professional development in order to access senior leadership roles.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
University of Essex Online have regular intakes throughout the year – apply now and you could start your course soon!
- Regular optional meetings
- Proactive tutoring and support
- Individual work/assignments (with online group discussions)
DisciplinesEducation Pedagogy Teaching View 27 other Masters in Pedagogy in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
At University of Essex Online, we believe that everyone should be able to access education. That is why we offer two different entry routes onto our Master of Education (M.Ed.), which consider academic or work-based experience.
English language requirement
Our courses are taught in English so to study with us you must have an IELTS (Academic) score of 6.5 or equivalent. If you don’t hold an IELTS or equivalent qualification, you will be required to pass a free online English test to assess your proficiency.
Work experience entry route (if not eligible see academic entry route)
You must meet the following criteria:
at least two years’ teaching experience in a post-compulsory educational setting
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International5611 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11222 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
National5611 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11222 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
This fee excludes any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where applicable, the University is required to add the sales tax.
Our online Master of Education (M.Ed.) tuition fee includes all teaching materials and required reading, and there aren’t any hidden charges for assessments or resits.
- Designated for postgraduate student loans in England.
- Monthly payment plan available for those who are self-funding.
- Full payment discount if you pay the full course fee upfront.
- A range of scholarships are available subject to applicants meeting certain criteria.**
Please note that you can only apply for a maximum of two discounts or scholarships.
** To find out whether you’re eligible for our scholarships contact University of Essex Online’s Admissions team.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.