This Early Childhood Education program at The City University of New York prepare teachers to support learning and development within the family, culture, and community contexts of students and schools. EECE programs share a commitment to educational practices that honor linguistic and cultural diversity, and integrate technology and instruction to enhance learning.
The 36-credit program leads to the Master of Science in Education degree (MSEd) for students who have completed a teacher certification program in elementary/early childhood and currently hold a provisional or initial teaching certificate. The MSEd in Early Childhood Education, B–2, is also designed for students with initial certificates in Childhood Education, Grades 1–6, who are interested in adding a second certificate area. The program presents an integrated approach to curriculum and environmental design.
Part-time students normally register for 6 credits each semester. A typical full-time program would be 12 credits each semester and 6 credits in the summer.To conform to changing NYS regulations, EECE graduate programs have been substantially restructured. Each semester, the department holds informational sessions about NYS certification and program requirements. Students considering graduate study in elementary and early childhood are encouraged to attend. Contact the department (718-997-5302) for the schedule.
- Language Development and Emergent Literacy
- Ecological Perspectives on Development: The Early Years
- Curriculum and Environmental Design for Early Childhood: Part I
- Curriculum and Environmental Design for Early Childhood: Part II
- Infants and Toddlers: Curriculum and Teaching
- Modern Learning Technology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Teaching Early Childhood Education View 3375 other Masters in Education in United States
- Students are required to hold a bachelor’s degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
- NYS initial certificate in Childhood Education, Grades 1–6, or provisional certificate in Pre-K–6.
- Applicants are required to provide writing samples on site.
- Results of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) General Test are required.
International30780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
National30780 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.