The M.A. in Spanish at The City University of New York students should have completed 18 credits in advanced (300-level and above) undergraduate Spanish courses (including a minimum of 9 advanced credits in literature courses conducted in Spanish). If these requirements are not met, additional undergraduate courses must be completed before admission to the program and after consultation with the Department of Languages and Literatures.
As part of the required courses, students must have taken SPA300 (Introduction to Literary Studies) and SPA309 (Advanced Spanish Grammar) or their equivalents in another accredited college or university. If the candidate has not taken these courses, he/she should consult with the graduate advisor.
The M.A. in Spanish requires a total of 30 credits distributed as follows:
SPA 601 (3 credits)
SPA 701 (3 credits)
SPA 619 (3 credits)
A minimum of one course in Peninsular literature (3 credits)
A minimum of one course in Latin American literature (3 credits)
5 elective Graduate Spanish courses (15 credits)
All students in the program must pass a comprehensive examination. This test must be taken during the last semester of graduate studies.
- Hispanic Linguistics
- Seminar in Research and Methodology in Literary Analysis and Criticism
- Seminar In Studies of Hispanic and Latin American Cultures
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguages Literature Linguistics View 614 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A bachelor's degree (or its equivalent) from an accredited college or university.
- Demonstrate the ability to successfully pursue graduate study. (Above-average academic achievement in general and in Spanish course work is required.)
- Submission of a personal statement of some 500 words indicating, as precisely as possible, the applicant's preparation for master's work and career plans (In English).
- Submission of an academic writing sample in Spanish. This sample can be an essay submitted for a literature class from an accredited college or university. The length of this essay must be at least eight pages long, including bibliography.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- A meeting with the Graduate Program Advisor is required.
International25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
National25650 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Full-time - $5,545/semester
- Part-time - $470/credit
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.