We provide training with an emphasis theory, technique, practical experience, and individual growth. Our faculty members utilize an eclectic teaching approach to hone creative and technical skills for the performance and interpretation of theatre.
The M.F.A. in Directing is a terminal degree that prepares the candidate to work in professional theatre and teach acting and directing at the university level.
Personalized career advising
Wherever you are on your path to discovering your ideal career, we have the expertise to help.
- The Career Development Center (CDC) is your go-to resource if you aren’t yet part of a specific Indiana University Bloomington school. Our exploration process provides you with support and guidance each step of the way—from beginning to think about your future to launching your career.
- If you are in the exploratory stage, we also encourage you to visit career centers for schools in which you have an interest, in addition to the CDC.
- Once you declare a major, you’ll work with the career center dedicated to your school for advising tailored to your academic discipline.
- Learn more about our recruiting policies for employers, including our disability disclosure guidance for students.
- Directing : Advanced Directing
- Directing : Directing Style
- Theories of Directing
- Studies in Directing
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
National on rolling
DisciplinesLiberal Arts Theatre & Dance View 682 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We maintain a total of three directors in our highly selective three-year program, accepting one director per year. Applications are generally considered beginning in January, but will be accepted until all openings have been filled. Please contact us with questions regarding the application process.
International42445 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 42445 USD per year during 36 months.
National30690 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30690 USD per year during 36 months.
In-State10502 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10502 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Bloomington
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.