The MLitt in Systematic and Historical Theology at the University of St Andrews is a one-year taught programme run by the School of Divinity.
- Trains students with an undergraduate degree in theology or a cognate discipline in a high-level engagement with Christian doctrines in their historical and systematic dimensions.
- Integrates the study of Biblical origins, primary theological texts, and contemporary scholarship.
- Balances coursework and a research component that allows the application of acquired skills to a substantial subject or question of the student’s choosing.
- Equips students for doctoral study in systematic and historical theology, or for enhanced ministry in church and society.
Students on the MLitt programme are provided the skills they need to succeed in an international job market, both academic and non-academic.
Regular workshops, both general and subject-specific, in areas such as publishing, conference presentations, and job searches are offered by the School of Divinity and the University.
- The Doctrine of the Trinity
- Guided Study in Divinity
- History of Biblical Interpretation
- A Selected Mediaeval Theologian
- A Selected Modern Theologian
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Religious Studies & Theology Christian Studies View 149 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in United Kingdom
- A good 2.1 undergraduate Honours degree in Theology or a closely related discipline.
- personal statement (optional)
- sample of academic work in English (2,000 words)
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
International21390 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21390 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10395 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10395 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for St Andrews
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.