It offers a uniquely well-rounded approach to strategic studies that consider pressing global challenges such as terrorism, nuclear proliferation, international peacekeeping, the changing international system, and the rise of non-state actors and new ways of warfare. It will provide students with a deep understanding of how historical developments have affected the evolution of strategy.
The Strategic Studies programme of University College Cork Online equips students with the knowledge and skills to develop a sophisticated understanding of both the history of strategy and warfare and of contemporary security issues. Its flexible, online delivery will mean that it will appeal to busy professionals as well as those with a broad interest in warfare and strategy.
Why Choose This Course
One of the few online Strategic Studies masters programmes in the world, this course offers the flexibility that you would expect from an online programme, while a deliberately small class size offers the opportunity for close engagement with expert mentors. The course is competitively priced while offering top quality instruction from leading scholars. It includes a unique module on peace support operations that draws on extensive Irish experience in this area.
Skills and Careers Information
The course provides students with advanced analytical, research and writing skills and encourages students to apply those skills in real-world case studies. Potential career paths include: government service, diplomatic service, defence and security consultancies, international organizations, and non-governmental organizations operating in conflicts zones. Many of our postgraduate students have progressed to successful PhD study in the area of war, strategy and security.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Strategic Studies
- The Making of Modern War and Strategy, 1450-1945
- US Grand Strategy
- Terrorism, Insurgency and Political Violence
- Strategic Studies Summer School
- Nuclear Strategy and Diplomacy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesStrategic Management View 3 other Masters in Strategic Management in Ireland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Candidates should hold a primary degree with a Second Class Honours Grade 1 (or equivalent) in any discipline. Candidates who hold a primary degree with a Second Class Honours Grade 2 will also be considered subject to the approval of the programme selection committee.
- Graduates who do not meet this requirement and have a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a relevant field (such as the military or security services) will be considered as an honours equivalent.
- Some applicants who do not fulfil the usual entry requirements may be invited for online interview to satisfy the selection committee of their suitability for the programme. Admission of such applicants will be subject to the approval of the College of Arts, Celtic Studies and Social Sciences. Strong references and personal statements are an important part of the application, as is relevant working experience.
International4000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2700 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2700 EUR per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.