The Barry R. Feirstein Graduate School of Cinema offers a master of fine arts degree in Cinema Arts - Digital Animation and Visual Effects at The City University of New York.
The three-year, 66-credit program prepares students for professional careers in their area of concentration through a combination of practical and theoretical courses.
Each specialization comprises a discipline rather than a strict career path:
- Directing: Film is a director’s medium. Directors provide the creative vision and translate the written script into a finished product.
- Cinematography: The cinematographer is the director of photography, whose chief tools for artistic expression are lighting and lenses.
- Producing/production management: There are a broad range of producer responsibilities, which may include organizing a package of artistic talent, financing, and handling logistics of organizing the crew on and off the set.
- Post-production: After principal shooting, the main contributors to postproduction are the picture and sound editors and the composer and music supervisor.
- Screenwriting: The screenwriter may write an original script or prepare an adaptation from another medium.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- History of World Cinema
- Digital Imaging and Compositing 2
- Drawing, Illustration, and Digital Cel Animation
- Digital Animation & VFX Symposium
- History of Animation and VFX Techniques
- 3D Computer Animation
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Graphic Design View 86 other Masters in Graphic Design in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (applicants who earned a bachelor's degree outside the United States need to submit a 'Course by Course International Transcript Evaluation.')
- Statement of purpose: Write a three- to four-page (double-spaced, 12-point font) statement explaining your purpose in undertaking graduate study in cinema arts. This is your opportunity to articulate your goals, interests and career plans as they relate to pursuing an MFA in cinema arts.
- Two letters of recommendation
- F-1 or J-1 international students must submit English Proficiency Exam.
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 36 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 36 months.
- Local students: $5,545 / semester
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.