The department occupies the fourth floor and part of the third floor of Swain Hall West, on East Third Street in Bloomington. The Physics Department occupies the remainder of the building, along with the library for mathematics, physics, astronomy, and computer science. Bloomington is a town of about 121,000 in the wooded rolling hills of southern Indiana. The Bloomington campus of Indiana University has about 38,000 undergraduate and graduate students. Astronomy at Indiana University has a long history, beginning with Daniel Kirkwood in 1856.
Personalized career advising
Wherever you are on your path to discovering your ideal career, we have the expertise to help.
- The Career Development Center (CDC) is your go-to resource if you aren’t yet part of a specific Indiana University Bloomington school. Our exploration process provides you with support and guidance each step of the way—from beginning to think about your future to launching your career.
- If you are in the exploratory stage, we also encourage you to visit career centers for schools in which you have an interest, in addition to the CDC.
- Once you declare a major, you’ll work with the career center dedicated to your school for advising tailored to your academic discipline.
- Learn more about our recruiting policies for employers, including our disability disclosure guidance for students.
- Stellar Astrophysics
- Extragalactic Astrophysics
- Topics in Astrophysics
- Principles and Techniques of Observational Astronomy
- The Interstellar Medium
- Galactic Astronomy
- Stellar Atmospheres
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Astronomy & Space Sciences View 608 other Masters in Physics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Good preparation for graduate work in astronomy or astrophysics requires the same training in physics and mathematics needed for a bachelor’s degree in physics, plus a familiarity with the subject matter of introductory astronomy or astrophysics courses. An undergraduate major in astronomy, astrophysics, physics, or mathematics that has provided such a background is usually required for admission. Any necessary undergraduate courses that are taken to strengthen a student’s background will not receive graduate credit.
International32156 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 32156 USD per year during 12 months.
National30704 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30704 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State10630 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10630 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Bloomington
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.