Unlike other programs, Chapman University's LL.M. in Trial Advocacy with Court Residency gives students who are licensed by the California State Bar the opportunity to participate in a 15-week "residency" in a criminal agency or law firm, where they will routinely make court appearances and handle other pretrial matters. Most will also try at least one complete jury trial. Candidates not licensed by the California State Bar will still be able to receive hands-on trial training from Superior Court Judges and leading jurists, prosecutors, civil litigators and criminal defense attorneys.
The law school faculty have identified the following learning outcomes as critical to a law degree and to developing the skills needed to become a proficient attorney.
- Understanding American Law – LL.M. students with foreign law degrees will demonstrate an understanding of the legal system of the United States by applying (1) the common law and case method, (2) basic principles of legal procedure, and (3) specific content areas relevant to their area of emphasis to propose, assess, justify, and/or recommend resolutions to simulated and real-world legal issues.
- Emphasis-Appropriate Content and Analysis – LL.M. students should demonstrate subject matter knowledge and information appropriate to their area of emphasis and their personal and program goals. Students should apply legal rules and information appropriate to their area of emphasis to formulate clear and effective legal analysis and to prepare and recommend solutions to legal problems.
- Emphasis-Appropriate Skills – LL.M. students should develop essential skills appropriate to their area of emphasis and their personal and program goals.
- California Evidence
- Advanced Crim Pro/Adjudicative Process
- Trial Practice
- Adv Top: Preliminary Hearings
- Crim Pro: Practice & Professionalism
- Externship Criminal
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Law Public Law Master of Laws (LLM) View 171 other Masters in International Law in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Application Fee
- Official Transcripts
- Official Test Scores
- Recommendation Letters
- Statement of Intent
International57600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1920 USD per credit during 12 months.
National57600 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1920 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Los Angeles
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.