Upon completion of this Master of Philosophy at University of New England course , students will be able to:
- exhibit a mastery of a field of knowledge within arts, health science, economics or business by: (a) having systematically acquired intellectual skill and experience that is grounded in contemporary developments in the field; (b) creating and communicating scholarship of a quality to satisfy peer review, extending the frontier of the field of knowledge and potentially meriting publication; (c) demonstrating knowledge of research principles and methods applicable in advanced academic inquiry;
- conduct research independently and systematically by: (a) conceptualising, designing and implementing a project which will increase knowledge that is applicable or contributes new insights to the field; (b) evaluating ideas and making informed judgements on complex issues or challenges in the field of specialisation; (c) communicating ideas, methodologies and conclusions clearly and effectively to specialist and non-specialist audiences; and
- be accountable for their own learning and professional training by: (a) demonstrating the capacity to undertake further learning and/or a further career in or around research at an advanced level, and contributing substantially to the development or dissemination of new techniques, ideas or approaches: (b) displaying the qualities and attributes necessary to exercise personal responsibility and autonomous initiative in complex and unpredictable situations, whether in professional environments or in the public domain.
Research pathway which may lead directly into Doctoral programs.
Thesis Examination Process
- 5.2.1. Prior to the submission of a thesis the Head of School and Principal Supervisor must recommend to the Committee the names of two examiners and a reserve third examiner, selected from a pool of at least four potential examiners, assembled through consultation between the Principal Supervisor, the candidate and all current supervisors.
- The Committee makes the final appointment.
- The candidate will not be given any indication of the final set of examiners that have been recommended and appointed.
- 24 months
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 27 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Australia
CRICOS Code 000456A
1. Admission to candidature in the degree of Master of Philosophy (Mphil) may be approved by the Committee only when the Head of School has:
(a) certified that the necessary facilities and appropriate support for the applicant undertaking the proposed MPhil program are available; and
(b) nominated an appropriate Principal Supervisor and Co-supervisor(s) in accordance with Rule 4.
2. The Committee may, on the recommendation of the relevant Head of School, admit to candidature into the course for the degree of Master of Philosophy (MPhil) an applicant who:
(a) has a degree of Bachelor with at least second class honurs (AQF Level 8) or equivalent in an appropriate field of study;
International26250 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 26250 AUD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.