What makes our course different?
At UNE, our social work courses have a particular focus on issues that face rural and regional communities. They are designed to provide an understanding and respect for the varied social, ethnic, cultural and religious groups that make up Australian society, with an emphasis on marginalised and Indigenous people. The Social Work (Professional Qualifying) program from University of New England will enable you to effectively respond to the rapidly changing social and environmental issues affecting individuals and communities.
Study flexibly to work in with your lifestyle, professional situation, and learning needs, either full time or part time, on campus or online (with some mandatory, on-campus intensive schools).
Choose your elective unit from a variety of specialist areas of practice, including mental health, substance abuse, leadership and management in healthcare and working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Complete your 1000 hours of professional fieldwork (clinical) placements in diverse social work settings in Australia and internationally. Clinical placements are supervised by experienced practitioners who support you in developing the skills needed to practice social work effectively in complex environments, with disadvantaged and marginalised individuals, groups, and communities.
Prove your enhanced discipline knowledge and research skills with the capstone unit HLTH554A, a research unit in a specialised area of your choice, usually completed alongside your second field placement. This unit of study will enable your critical thinking skills and evidence-based practice tools gained as you produce a piece of independent professional research.
Study with a highly rated university. UNE is consistently awarded the maximum 5-star ratings for Overall Experience and Student Support in The Good Universities Guide.
Our social work graduates are in demand in Australia and overseas in rewarding and challenging careers. Choose the direction you want to take, with strong projected future growth in the field.
Social workers are employed in a diverse range of government, non-government and community agencies such as:
- hospitals and community health centres
- early intervention, child protection programs and family support services
- justice and human rights
- mental health
- community development and advocacy agencies.
With the emphasis on skill development and continuing lifelong education, a postgraduate social work degree from UNE will position you at the forefront of change and innovation, and can lead to opportunities in management, education, research, policy development, politics and community planning.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Mental Health Practice
- Capstone Project
- Social Work Through the LifeSpan
- Disadvantage and Service Provision
- Social Work Direct Practice Skills
- Juvenile Justice and Child Protection
- Social Work Intervention Models and Skills
- Groups and Communities
- 24 months
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work View 53 other Masters in Social Work in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
CRICOS Code 084828E
- A candidate shall hold an AQF Level 7 three year undergraduate degree in a discipline other than social work from a recognised university, which includes the equivalent of one year of full-time study (48 credit points (8 units or equivalent) in any Social Science discipline as defined by the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia.
- In other words, the 48 credit points may include units in courses such as Accounting, Anthropology, Economics, Education, Geography, History, Law, Linguistics, Marketing, Management, Political Science, Social Medicine, Sociology, Statistics, etc.
International29344 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29344 AUD per year during 24 months.
National26200 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26200 AUD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Armidale
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.