Choice of specialism
You will have the choice to specialise in either applied conservation genetics or wildlife forensics, with both options providing transferable scientific skills relating to knowledge acquisition and application, problem solving, science communication and decision making. The overall aim of the programme is to equip current and future wildlife professionals with the knowledge, skills and global networks to address modern challenges in conservation management and law enforcement.
Learn from internationally recognised specialists
The Applied Conservation Genetics with Wildlife Forensics (Online Learning) programme at The University of Edinburgh is designed as an institutional collaboration between the University of Edinburgh and SASA (Science and Advice for Scottish Agriculture), a government facility which houses the UK wildlife DNA forensics laboratory. Students will have a unique opportunity to learn from internationally recognised specialists in the application of genetic analysis to conservation management and wildlife forensics.
In addition, individual courses will engage a number of external tutors from local and international organisations with specific expertise in the subject matter. Course materials will based on actual examples from wildlife management projects and forensic casework.
Who this programme is for
This programme may be for you if you are a wildlife professional interested in learning how DNA analysis can be applied to conservation management, from captive breeding programmes to reintroductions and natural population management.
The programme will also be appropriate if you are working in wildlife law enforcement or wildlife policy sectors and want to understand how genetic data is relied upon to inform conservation decision-making, trade regulation and criminal investigations.
As a comprehensive introduction to the fields of conservation genetics and wildlife forensics, the programme is will also provide a valuable stepping stone if you are seeking to pursue an advanced scientific career in these fields.
This applied programme should equip students with the knowledge, skills and global networks necessary to use DNA analysis as a tool in wildlife conservation. As a postgraduate degree from one of the world’s leading universities, it will be recognised as a valuable, hard-earned qualification that demonstrates both scientific acumen and an ability to translate research into conservation management practice.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Applied Conservation Genetics and Wildlife Forensics
- The Role of Wildlife Genetics in Global Conservation Challenges
- Quality Management in Wildlife Forensic Science
- Reporting Forensic Evidence
- Population Genetics for Conservation Breeding
- Conservation Genetics for Reintroductions, Translocations and Population Monitoring
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 72 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Forensic Science Genetics View 33 other Masters in Biology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in biological, biochemical, forensic science or veterinary sciences or a related science discipline.
- We may also consider your application if you have a minimum of 3 years’ work experience in a related scientific area, for example molecular biology research/ forensics laboratory work. You may be admitted to certificate level only in the first instance. Please contact the programme team to check before you apply.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International960 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 960 GBP per module during 72 months.
National960 GBP/moduleTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 960 GBP per module during 72 months.
- MSc, PgDip, PgCert, PgProfDev: 10 credits £960; 20 credits £1,915
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.