About this Degree
The Department of Theatre offers a Master of Fine Arts in Theatre with concentrations in Acting, Costume Design, Lighting Design, Scenic Design, and Sound and Digital Media. MFA candidates undergo 3 years of rigorous training in the classroom, the studio, and in the professional “laboratory” context of the Clarence Brown Theatre, including designing main stage productions and acting in major roles.
While in residence at University of Tennessee Knoxville, MFA designers have won more than 100 regional and national design awards since the inception of the program, and have 100% placement in the profession over the last five years. MFA designers travel extensively. In recent years, they have visited Ireland, Thailand, Mexico, Vietnam, Prague, Amsterdam, New York, Istanbul, London, Bulgaria, Berlin, and Munich. During these visits, students took master classes, worked with internationally renowned artists, showcased their work, and competed at conferences, while also seeing theatre, touring cities and museums, and absorbing world culture.
MFA actors enjoy national and international guest artist workshops throughout their training, including annual intensives with renowned British voice and text teacher Barbara Houseman; workshops and intensives in acting for camera, clown, Shakespeare, and career workshops with agents and casting directors, etc.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- 40 credit hours must be at the 500-level or above
- THEA 501 (3 credit hours)
- Three additional advisor approved credit hours at the graduate level are required from Theatre (THEA) history, literature, or dramaturgy
- THEA 599 (3 credit hours)
- At least 12 credit hours each of THEA 520, THEA 523, and THEA 525. Course work in this concentration is conducted in a conservatory environment.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesVisual Arts Fashion Design Theatre & Dance View 47 other Masters in Fashion Design in United States
- Applicants must have completed undergraduate degrees approximately equivalent in requirements to those specified for degrees conferred by the University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Two letters of recommendation
- Interviews with appropriate faculty are required of all applicants.
- Applicants for admission to the MFA design/technical theatre programs must submit samples of their work.
- Auditions are required of MFA degree performance applicants.
- Not all areas of concentration accept applicants every year.
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 24 months.
National31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.