About German at The University of Iowa
It facilitates the development of proficiency and confidence in the German language beginning with elementary and intermediate language courses and extending through advanced courses in linguistics, literature, and culture. Courses focus on the cultures of Germany, Austria, and German-speaking Switzerland, including migration to and from there, to provide an understanding of the historical and contemporary importance of these countries in a globalized world.
The program prepares students to use German that displays intercultural competency in fields as diverse as international business, teaching, engineering, medicine, music, museum studies, and linguistic or literary study. The Department of German supports outreach, extracurricular activities, and contributions to the visibility of German-related issues in the state of Iowa. The department fosters an environment of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Graduates in this area of study frequently enter the teaching profession. They also find positions in government, foreign service, and commercial enterprises.
- Elementary German
- Historical Perspectives
- Values and Culture
- Literary, Visual, and Performing Arts
- Quantitative or Formal Reasoning
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Application for fall admission is preferred.
- Late applications considered only if space is available
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 756 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
- A U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- English Proficiency Requirements
- submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants).
- Application for Graduate Awards
- Writing samples
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile.
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement.
International29739 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 29739 USD per year during 24 months.
National31012 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31012 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State12065 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12065 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Iowa City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.