The Master of Arts program in German, at The University of Iowa, requires a minimum of 33 s.h. of graduate credit. It is offered with or without thesis.
M.A. students choose one of two concentrations: German literature or Germanic linguistics. The German literature concentration requires seven literature courses (21 s.h.) and four linguistics courses (12 s.h.).
The Germanic linguistics concentration requires seven linguistics courses (21 s.h.) and four literature courses (12 s.h.).M.A. students are expected to complete at least 24 s.h. in the Department of German. All M.A. course work taken outside the department requires the graduate advisor's approval.
- The Language Media Center (LMC) is an essential resource unit for faculty and students in the Division of World Languages, Literatures and Cultures.
- The LMC provides a wide variety of facilities and services for traditional language laboratory work as well as for foreign language digital media production and computer-based activities.
- The LMC facilities include a 50-computer information technology center (ITC), two digital audio laboratories, a multimedia development studio, four One Button Studios for video production, 13 media viewing stations, and six small group collaboration spaces.
- The LMC also circulates a collection of over 3,000 foreign language, American Sign Language, and English as a Second Language digital media materials.
More informationVisit official programme website
- German literature
- German linguistics
- German grammar
- German vocabulary
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 385 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- You must first submit the online application to the Graduate College and pay the $60 application fee by credit card ($100 for international applicants)
- Application for Graduate Awards
- Writing samples
- Three letters of recommendation
- A set of your unofficial academic records/transcripts uploaded on your Admissions Profile
- Your official GRE scores from Educational Testing Service
- International students may also be required to submit TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE scores
- Once recommended for admission, international students must send a Financial Statement
International29026 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 29026 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National30612 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 30612 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State11665 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11665 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.