About this Degree
For grade recording purposes in the Department of Philosophy and College of Law, grades awarded in the other unit will be converted to either Satisfactory or No Credit and will not be computed in determining a student’s GPA or class standing.
The College of Law will award a grade of Satisfactory for an approved Philosophy course in which the student earns a grade of B or higher and a grade of No Credit for any lower grade.
The Philosophy Department will award a grade of Satisfactory for an approved law course in which the student earns a grade of 2.30 or higher and a grade of No Credit for any lower grade.
The official academic record of the student maintained by the Office of the University Registrar shall show the actual grade assigned by the instructor without conversion. Philosophy - Law is offered at University of Tennessee Knoxville.
- PHIL 500 (6 credit hours)
- 9 credit hours of philosophy (PHIL) at the 500- or 600-level, other than PHIL 500 thesis hours
- 80 credit hours of law (LAW) courses including the required first year program in LAW, LAW 813, LAW 920, and additional elective LAW courses.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
Domestic applicants may apply up to two weeks prior to the beginning of the desired term of entry
DisciplinesEuropean Law Philosophy & Ethics Master of Laws (LLM) View 347 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in United States
- Applicants for the MA-JD (Philosophy major) program must make separate application to, and be independently accepted by,
- the College of Law for the JD and
- the Department of Philosophy and Office of Graduate Admissions for the MA degree, with a major in Philosophy.
- Applicants must also be accepted by the dual degree committee (the membership of which will include a program coordinator from both the Department of Philosophy and College of Law).
- Upon petition, an applicant’s LSAT score may be accepted by the Department of Philosophy as a substitute for the normally required GRE score.
- Application to the dual degree program may be made prior to or after matriculation in either the JD or the MA (Philosophy) program, but application must be made prior to the last 29 credit hours required for the JD and prior to the last 15 credit hours required for the MA (Philosophy).
International38842 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 38842 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National38842 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 38842 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
In-State20168 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 20168 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.