About this Degree
Geographers bring together global and local perspectives to address today’s challenges. Our faculty study everything from climate change over the past ten thousand years, to poverty and urban development, to how the internet is changing how we understand the places where we live. This big picture view of the world makes geography and sustainability degrees highly marketable: our graduates are helping with security management of the Boston Marathon, mapping global population for disaster readiness, and working as data scientists at the largest technology companies in the world.
The UT Geography Department offers BA degrees in Geography and in Sustainability, BS in GIST, and an MS and PhD in Geography. Our students work alongside faculty, study abroad, and develop marketable skills while helping community organizations and working in local governments, the private sector, and Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Geography is all around you! Geography is offered at University of Tennessee Knoxville.
- The master’s degree emphasizes development of professional competence as a geographer and offers opportunities to gain substantial depth in a concentration or a major technique. An emphasis in Geographic Information Science (GIS) is available for students who have appropriate backgrounds in mathematics and computer science.
- The faculty is qualified to direct students from a variety of approaches ranging from historical, qualitative, and social theoretical to quantitative, computational, and geospatial.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
Domestic applicants may apply up to two weeks prior to the beginning of the desired term of entry
DisciplinesGeography Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Natural Sciences View 210 other Masters in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in United States
- Applicants must have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agency, recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEEA). A non-U.S. degree must be equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from the United States and must be granted by a recognized or accredited foreign institution.
- United States degree holders must have earned a minimum of 2.7 out of a possible 4.0 GPA or a minimum of 3.0 during the senior year of undergraduate study. If you have completed previous graduate coursework, you must have earned a minimum of 3.0 out of a possible 4.0 GPA.
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees must have earned a minimum of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or other equivalent to a ‘B’ average.
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
In-State13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.