About this Degree
In addition to completing all course requirements and final examinations, students are expected to carry out research in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the Master of Arts degree in French and Francophone Studies from University of Tennessee Knoxville. It is possible to choose either the thesis option or the non-thesis option. Students planning to continue to a Ph.D. program will gain practice writing a thesis with the first option. However, students pursuing a terminal M.A. degree normally select the non-thesis option.
- Completion of a minimum of 24 semester hours in coursework plus at least 6 hours in course 500 Thesis. A maximum of 6 hours may be taken at the 400 level, the rest at the 500 level, and under certain conditions the student may take 600-level seminars. If the student chooses to have a minor (such as Italian or Portuguese), at least 24 hours (including 6 hours of thesis) must be taken in the major, 6 in the minor.
- Completion of at least 30 semester hours, with a maximum of 9 at the 400 level, the rest at the 500 level. Under certain conditions, the student may take 600-level seminars. If the student chooses to have a minor (such as Italian or Portuguese), at least 24 hours must be taken in the major, 6 in the minor.
- A thesis, with a minimum of 6 semester hours in course 500.
- A written examination covering the coursework and selected items from a master reading list.
- A final oral examination covering the thesis.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
Domestic applicants may apply up to two weeks prior to the beginning of the desired term of entry
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Linguistics View 632 other Masters in Linguistics in United States
- Applicants must have obtained a bachelor’s degree from a college or university accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agency, recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEEA). A non-U.S. degree must be equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from the United States and must be granted by a recognized or accredited foreign institution.
- United States degree holders must have earned a minimum of 2.7 out of a possible 4.0 GPA or a minimum of 3.0 during the senior year of undergraduate study. If you have completed previous graduate coursework, you must have earned a minimum of 3.0 out of a possible 4.0 GPA.
- Applicants with non-U.S. degrees must have earned a minimum of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or other equivalent to a ‘B’ average.
International31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
National31798 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 31798 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
In-State13380 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13380 USD for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Knoxville
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.